Thursday, August 30, 2012

Learning Does NOT Equal Perfection

Sometimes I forget that little tiny detail.  I love learning and for some silly reason often believe after one try (or simply on the first try) I should be perfect at what I do.  What a silly thing to think!

Today one of my professors/mentor shared a story that I loved.  She said that when she was in her grad program she was taking a pattern making class and trying to do something she'd never done before.  She was having a hard time figuring it out and ended up in tears in the hallway.  Her professor came out to talk to her and said, "Where you born knowing how to do it?  That's why you are in school, so you can learn how to do it."

So true.  We weren't born knowing all about venture capital or starting a business or tailoring a coat.  Sure, some have more of a natural inclination than others, but all in all we know so little.  I'm realizing this more and more.  It seems the more I learn, the more I realize how very little I know.

Today I forgot all this for a little while and wanted to be perfect in my classes - especially my entrepreneur class.  I was feeling hugely inadequate for the discussion we were having.  It is so different than the costuming classes I'm used to and I've only taken two other business classes.  Oh and there are MBA's in my class and a good chunk of our grade is based on how much we contribute to the class discussion.  I felt I had very little to offer as an undergrad Costume Design student... I started worrying about being perfect.

Now I can see how silly that is.  Do I go to class to be perfect and mingle with perfect people?  No, I don't think so.  I go to class so I can learn.  So it doesn't matter if I get an A, B or C in that class.  I'm in college to learn, so that is what I shall do.  I won't be perfect at that either, but I can do my best and that is enough.  Luckily, perfection isn't needed to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment