Sunday, June 10, 2012

Who I Want to Be

Sometimes I think I want to be like Audrey Hepburn.  A fashion icon.  Beautiful.  Lovely.  And perhaps even a bit famous (though in costume or fashion, not acting).


On the outside, that life looks fabulous.  But then when I look at her life more, I realize I don't really want to be like her.  She was malnourished during the war, which is why she was always so skinny.  Her marriages were not always the best and being famous surely had it's hardships.

Although I do have to give Miss Hepburn credit.  She did do a lot of humanitarian work and did have some words of wisdom. 


She was great in many ways and I love those words. But the point is, I want my greatness to be in the Lord, not the world.
 
When I think of what I really want to be, I think of this quote:

“I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails.
I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.
I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children.
I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden.
I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder.
I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.”


When it all comes down to it, do I want to be remembered for my beauty and fashion?  Or for my humility, service and love for people and life?

I suppose I better stop blogging and get to work serving  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment