Monday, September 17, 2012

In the Heights and Graffiti

Friday night I went with some friends to see, "In the Heights" at Pioneer Theatre.  I had heard fantastic things about it through the rehearsal process and talking to the set and costume designer, Skip Mercier, yet I was still pleasantly surprised with how much I loved this show filled with rap and hip hop.

"In the Heights" cast
www.broadwayworld.com
The story is so heartwarming and the design element was incredible too.  The set made you feel like you were actually in New York, where this takes place.  Absolutely stunning, in a run down New York neighborhood sort of way.



Now enter Saturday morning.  I wake up to a policeman at my door, songs from "In the Heights" still playing in my head.  My little sister came to get me, telling me it had to do with my car.  I wracked my brain trying to think what it could be.  And to be honest, it was better than I expected, though completely unexpected.  The policeman informed me that my car had been tagged during the night.  I went out to see a crude word spray painted on my black car.  So strange.  I felt a little like I should be in New York, not my cozy little Mormon town.  It was so strange to have that happen after seeing a play the night before with graffiti on the set and even a character named Graffiti Pete.  It was like the play jumped into my reality, in an unkind way.

Luckily, the paint came off fairly well with Goof Off.  There are some hints still in the scratches in my car, but it really isn't bad.  There are so many worse things that could have happened.  I'm grateful it wasn't anything worse and that it was resolved fairly quickly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment