Thursday, March 29, 2012

I've Still Got a Little Performer in Me

Tonight I saw Laughing Stock at Pioneer Theatre (and apparently feel like blogging about it more than sleeping). It was fantastic and hilarious.  It was a farce about summer theatre companies, the drama that happens backstage (and on-stage) when you put a bunch of actors together to put together three shows with very little time, money or resources.  It was absolutely hilarious, and heartwarming at the same time to see this group of actors pull together.


It made me miss performing, probably more than I'd like to admit.  There can be so much drama and craziness that happens on and off stage that can make it absolutely crazy (and perfect for a parody).  But there is also a certain camaraderie that comes from the hours of working together.  Sometimes I secretly wish that I was one of the actors in my classes and not the designer backstage.  Not very often, but sometimes.

I loved my acting days in high school and junior high.  I played Snow White in Into the Woods, Miss Dorothy in Thoroughly Modern Millie, and Cecily in The Importance of Being Earnest.  Those were some of my favorite roles and some of my favorite memories in high school.  Learning to tap dance in three inch heels, spending many hours memorizing lines and scrounging up costumes.  I loved singing and laughing in the dressing rooms before shows and the cast parties afterwards.  So many silly memories of my contact falling out of my eye on stage, or my mic being left on after I'd left stage and everyone could hear my conversation.  Just silly things, but it was fun.  I love the feeling of being a part of a group to create something wonderful.  I suppose I get to do that now with costumes, but it's different.  Most of the time the difference is good, but sometimes I wish I was on stage.

Me as a blonde Miss Dorothy

I'm on the left as Miss Cecily Cardew 
(I do quite love being called Miss Cecily or Miss Dorothy or Miss V)

A little bit of nostalgia for you.  But then that's what the play was about in a way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment