Thursday, May 31, 2012

Things in Cedar

I haven't said much about how things are in Cedar, so here are a few random thoughts.

One.  I think my love for food and cooking grows every time I've move out of the house.  My parents have spoiled me with really good, fresh food and I find myself craving it all the time.  Unfortunately, I don't have bucket loads of money to spend on food.  But I still eat very well : )  Like today for instance.  My roommate made enchiladas and slow cooked re-fried beans that were delicious.  I don't think I can ever go back to canned again.

Here's an approximate recipe:

Slow Cooked Re-fried Beans 
Dry pinto beans (however much you want)
Water (cover the beans)
1 Onion, cut in chunks
1 Jalapeno, chopped with seeds
Garlic to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

Put in the crock pot for 8 hours.  Drain off extra water.  Mash together with an electric mixer.  Eat to your hearts content.

You might be finding more recipes on my blog.  I've been spending way too much time drooling over cooking blogs and you'll be sure to hear of my successful recipe attempts.

Today when we were at the store, my roommate and I ran into some of our co-workers.  One of them laughed because I was the smallest and my cart was the biggest - over flowing with produce.  What can I say?  I like good food.  And I like to cook.

Two.  My ward seems really great.  I love my bishopric - really all the bishopric.  They've already got me involved in the ward, since I spoke and lead the music in sacrament meeting last Sunday.  I was surprised they'd ask me since I'm here such a short time, but I was/am grateful for the opportunity.  It made me feel wanted in the ward and gave purpose to my scripture study.

Three.  Cedar City is beautiful.  Sometimes during my afternoon break at work, I just walk around taking in the beautiful nature around me.  Here's a picture of one of my favorite streets to walk down.  I love the canopy of trees.  There are also so many adorable houses around.  A lot of them are Bed and Breakfast places, but some of them are actually homes.  They are so fun to look at.  Perhaps I'll have to take pictures of some of them.


 Four.  I've started running again.  Hurray!  In the past year I've been super bad about running - any I did was short and far between.  I did yoga more consistently, but even then I was super great about that.  So I determined that while I was down here and just working, I needed to start being more active again.  I'm a really slow runner and pretty much mentally sabotage myself into thinking I can't go very far.  And not running recently made me even more intimidated of running.  But I found this free podcast from http://runningmatemedia.com that is awesome!  It's helps you increase your endurance and prepares you to run a 5k (which I've decided to run the Freedom Run on the 4th of July in Provo as my goal).  And it's great because I can turn it on and there's now someone in my ear telling me to keep going or when I'm half-way there.  I'm a fan.  Plus I feel great, because, well, running makes you feel great!



 
Sometimes this is what happens in the costume shop.

Lastly.   Work is busy, and we certainly work hard, but we have time for moments of fun.  Like dressing up Valerie today after lunch.  I made this blue skirt (dress on me) and then we ended up changing the color of the ball gown, so I'm making a new one.  We were having fun trying it on.  On my friends, Jack and Shelby, it was actually a skirt.  For me it was a cape, and then a dress.  

Then we belted it, because we've got a theme in the Les Mis neck of the woods, "belt it."  That's our solution for a lot of the dirty peasant looks that don't quite fit (half joking).

And last of all, the bonnet.  I am actually quite fond of that bonnet.  I wore it most of yesterday.  It was quite perfect since I wore a matching pink shirt.  I felt ready to pick strawberries.  Can someone tell me why we don't wear bonnets today?  They are absolutely charming.


So there you have it.  Just a few snapshots of life here in Cedar.  Nothing epic or profound, but life is good - very good.  How can you complain when work is a 2 minute walk from your apartment, the weather is perfect, and you have greenery and red rock?

No comments:

Post a Comment